Thursday, July 7, 2011

Saturday is a Special Day (But so is Friday)


When I was little we used to sing a song called, Saturday is a Special Day. Saturday  was special because it’s the day to get ready for Sunday. The song talked about doing all kinds of chores on Saturday so that Sunday could be a day of rest. If you are like me you think Saturdays are special days for another reason too. It’s the day of sales. Pick your pleasure; estate sales, garage sales, church rummage sales, tag sales, flea markets, yard sales. It’s the day of the week that one man’s trash becomes another man’s treasure. But let’s not forget about Friday. It may not be quite as spectacular as Saturday but it’s certainly an important day in the world of resale. If you are itching to get out the door, check your local paper. There are always a few garage sales that start Friday morning and some rummage sales too. If you get really lucky you might even find a family run estate sale. If you like flea markets, about an hour from Pittsburgh you’ll find Rogers, Ohio. They hold a giant flea market every Friday, all year long. I’m talking HUGE! It can take all day to walk the whole thing. 
Here are a few pics from the last estate sale I attended. 



  

The best find that day was this really cute enamel top table from the 1940’s. I was so excited when I spotted it. It was completely covered in tupperware and old coolers. No one seemed to notice it because of the huge heaps of junk surrounding it. I stayed close and kept an eye on it then bought it at 1:00, when it went half price. I loved it when I heard the comments of people  after I unearthed it and dragged it out to the check out. “Where was that?! I didn’t see that inside.” “What a cool table, why didn’t I see it??” “Ooohhh, I wish I would have seen that!” So just remember, sometimes you have to dig around a little to get to the good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment